In my organization we wanted to highlight outstanding gender awareness. One of our Regional teams organized their own Gender Idol competition, and the prize went to one of our drivers. Other companies have Diversity awards. Law firms publish names in their CSR brochures of lawyers who have done 50 hours of pro bono in the year.
There are many ways we can recognize our team members who have gone out of their way to make a difference. Virtue is its own reward, but in a professional environment, every little helps. Students know the importance of having a good CV. It can be important for career development to recognize the contribution that lawyers and support staff make to our CSR and to our pro bono initiatives.
Here are some examples of recognition given by companies and organizations:
- For every hour of volunteer time logged, the company agreed to give $15 to a charity of the employee’s choice
- Have a global volunteer day, and single out examples of best practice
- Above and beyond award: is there something that your company can give out, eg travel vouchers from travel company, hamper from food company?
- Feature the volunteer in the Chair’s newsletter to staff
- A ‘Thank You’ board for recognizing special assistance given
- Individual awards, eg Diversity Champion, Volunteering Champion, Fundraiser of the Year
If you want to organize your own scheme, then try the following cycle (or make up your own).